Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Shop speakers extraordinaire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member airboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Shop speakers extraordinaire

    I'm building my shop in a 140^2' space carved out of my three car garage. It will be walled off so other stuff (like gardening crap and other women's detritus) Won't drift in there. I build guitar amps and cabs in there primarily. It's going to be tight. The speakrs are going to be 416 based with H811B horns and will be ceiling mounted in corners.

    I can build condensed Mod 19 types without the extra 4" from the base and the horn case separater. This would make them 30" x 19" x 33". I would consider mounting them upside down, with the bass cab against the ceiling.

    Or, I can build 816 horn loaded bass cabs and stick the 811 on it, also upside down with the reflex ports against the ceiling (should these be spaced 2" off the ceiling?). This would eliminate the phase compensation problems (wouldn't it?) but I think I would lose some bass. But this is not a critical listening room here. It's a shop. One day, true Mod 19s will be built with these components and they will move inside, into a music room. Currently being used as a bedroom. Which crossover?

    So these will be around 30" tall by 30" wide by whatever the depth is.

    If you were as crazy as I am, which would you do? Cabs, with the exception of the curved horn parts will be 3/4" MDF; painted.

    Maybe this is too mad. 816s are PA cabinets not music cabinets. They got to sound sorta good.

    Door number three would be to build speaker baffle boxes with open tops and use the attic as an infinite baffle. Being careful to align the voice coils of the horns with the bass drivers. Now we really lose some bass. Can this be compensated with an active equalizer, with tubes of course? Like a bigger bass cap in the tone control stack?

    Weird eh? What would you do?

    Thanks in advance for any non-abusive contributions. I may cry......just kidding! Fire away.
    Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Shop speakers extraordinaire

    I can build condensed Mod 19 types without the extra 4" from the base and the horn case separater. This would make them 30" x 19" x 33". I would consider mounting them upside down, with the bass cab against the ceiling.
    Weird eh? What would you do?
    I'd swap the 811's for 511's and build a pair of 9845's.

    9845
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member airboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Shop speakers extraordinaire

    Nice box. I like the warmth the 416 gives with a 1250+/- crossover. But it does confirm in my mind that the horn can go on the bottom. That's the way it is in stadiums and basketball arenas.

    There are lots of shapes for boxes and unfortunately I'm not smartened up on what's important and what isn't. The base driver on the Mod 19 is in approximately 8^3'. The reflex port is laid out next to the driver.. The distance between the centers of the drivers horizontally is 17 3/4". Vertically it is whatever it is. I haven't worked that out yet; but the crossover takes care of the phase problems resulting from different centers of the voice coils. It makes sense to me that the horn enclosure at 24 wide is purely aesthetic.

    So, at this point I'm thinking about using the 19" dimension vertically and mounting the drivers in that side, With the horn horizontal I will not be able to keep the horn center the same distance from the 416 center but I'll keep it close and proportional. I'll make the port between them, or opposit the horn. Now the boxes will be 24" deep, with about 8" sticking into the shop. The balance of the 24" will pass through the wall and be well above head knocking level on the car side of the garage. The ceiling height I'm working with is 114 1/2". This leaves the speakers at just shy of 8' off the ground at their bottoms.

    R-13 without the paper somehow fastened all around inside?


    My calculator battery is low, the 44" dimension should read 50" in the drawing.

    Like this:

    1

    Another thought occurres to me now. Make the boxes as shown and use them for bases for the amp assembly bench......tough to get a stereo picture from there eh? Oh well. Just musing here; please jump in.
    Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Shop speakers extraordinaire

    Maybe just personal taste, but I prefer the 811 horn to the 511, at least for hi-fi use.

    Are you going to corner mount the speakers? Like build them into the corners? That would save some space and reinforce the bass some. Where is GM?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member airboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 2nd, 2003
    Posts
    157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Shop speakers extraordinaire

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Maybe just personal taste, but I prefer the 811 horn to the 511, at least for hi-fi use.

    Are you going to corner mount the speakers? Like build them into the corners? That would save some space and reinforce the bass some. Where is GM?
    Yes, they will be built into the corners. Framed in, glued and screwed with access door. Your comment makes one wonder too, should the bass side of the enclosure be in the corner? I suppose I could just add a cubic foot or so and put the 811s in the same box instead of separated like the mod 19. Valencia? That way I could keep the centers of the drivers closer together. I would still use the 1201 crossover because the voice coils are in far different planes. I've determined that a true horn like the 816 is not going to work unless I use them as supports for my work bench. Hard to get a stereo image when you are sitting on the speakers.

    Anyway, thanks for the response.
    Last of the World's Great Human Beings, well maybe one of the last? OK, just an ordinary slacker then.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.